WELCOME 2015!!

Did you make a New Year resolution?? Would you like to share with us ? If you didn’t, don’t worry. We would like to know what you did over break! Did you cuddle up and watch a good movie or read an interesting book? Did you try new recipe! Please share!!

49 replies
  1. lhoeflinger
    lhoeflinger says:

I spent most of my winter break in Chicago visiting my boyfriend’s family. It was nice to have a mini vacation (even though it was freezing there)!

Reply
  2. todonoghue
    todonoghue says:

Not telling my new year’s resolution in order to protect myself. Too many witty wise-crackers might comment. My daughters were all home for a LONG visit over the break, which was delightful. My oldest daughter got engaged! And I did more than my fair share of hunting for the after Christmas sales and had visions of red tags in my head the entire holiday.

Reply
  3. Andrea
    Andrea says:

I spent the winter break in North Carolina visiting my family. It was wonderful, but very difficult to leave my precious nieces and nephew when the break was over! As for resolutions, I plan to get back to dancing this year. As a start, I’m working with two friends every Sunday afternoon to brush up on our West Coast Swing skills. We are also resolving to go out dancing socially at least once each month. I will also begin teaching two group classes next week at Mahler Ballroom in the CWE – beginning/intermediate waltz & swing (Tues. 6-7:30) & beginning salsa rueda (Thursday 6-7). I would love for all of you to join me! 🙂

Reply
  4. msauer
    msauer says:

NETFLIX! I started and will soon finish the Lost series.
    Goals: SAVE money. I have proudly only gone out to eat 2 times in January, this is a huge turn around!

Reply
  5. ehumphrey
    ehumphrey says:

Holiday Break = Finishing Scandal on Netflix and catching up to the current season. I am very excited about Scandal returning TONIGHT! As for resolutions, I plan to read more books and complete (I mean start…) Couch to 5K to prepare for the Color Run in April.

Reply
  6. dgushleff
    dgushleff says:

The best part of my holiday break was spending time with my grandchildren. The youngest ones spent a couple of nights with me and we read books, did crafts, played with dollies, snuggled, and went to the park. My 12-year-old triplet granddaughters spent a day and a night and we baked cookies, played Monopoly, did jigsaw puzzles and best of all, stayed up to the wee hours laughing, telling stories and having snacks (don’t tell their mother). Another day six of us went to see the Annie movie. I hope our fun times mean as much to them as it does to me.

Reply
  7. emabrey
    emabrey says:

Larry was home! We caught up on a lot of day-to-day things, but also allowed ourselves a vegging out luxury…we watched the entire miniseries CENTENNIAL throughout the break. My family was ADDICTED to this miniseries when it originally aired back in the day, but Larry never got to see it because it aired during his high school basketball season. I highly recommend CENTENNIAL – lots of incredible actors and I was very pleased that it exposed what really happened to many Native people. The only drawback is the last episode which unfortunately is a pretty cheesy 1970’s segment!

Reply
  8. msamson
    msamson says:

We got a puppy over break, so I came up with some resolutions for Gus:
    1. Stop chewing pillows/couches/blankets/curtains/socks/pants/fingers/toes/tables/chairs/rugs/towels/zippers/shoes/bed skirts/firewood/cabinet handles/books/my face/my friends
    2. Sleep through the night
    He’s a really awesome dog and has brought a lot of happiness to our house! : )

Henry and I also listened to the podcast Serial. It really helps pass the time during a long car ride. It’s very entertaining – fascinating really – and pretty addicting!

Reply
  9. Dorie
    Dorie says:

We went to TX to see my family for Christmas, which was wonderful! I spent a ton of time knitting Christmas gifts, so once I finally finished those, I was thrilled to read again (I only wish I could knit and read!). Since I needed to find something to watch while knitting, I discovered Call the Midwife on Netflix, and Hannah and I watched lots of cheesy, predictable Hallmark Channel Christmas movies! Now, I’m reading Light between Oceans, per Kelly’s recommendation.

Reply
  10. Mary
    Mary says:

My husband lost the keys to his car over break, so we completely cleaned out our basement and tore apart our house in search for them. No such luck and he had misplaced the spare (its a pretty common thing in our house to lose keys) so we had to have a locksmith come out and make a key for his car. It was very expensive but only took them man 20 minutes. Good excuse to get organized, but I wish it didn’t come with such a hefty price tag!

Reply
  11. Kelly
    Kelly says:

I read Light Between Oceans (thanks for the rec Andrea!) and LOVED it.

My parents also surprised me with a DSLR camera for Christmas, so I basically spent the last week of break taking pictures of anything I could. My family was so tired of it by the end of break that they joked about taking it back to the store. Even my dogs started to growl at me any time I got near them with the camera. I have always loved photography and am love in learning how to use my beautiful Rebel!

Reply
  12. sstever
    sstever says:

I did a lot of relaxing and Netflix bingeing. I also cleaned and unpacked boxes along with putting together some baby furniture. It felt nice to get things done on my own time during break.

Reply
  13. phoffman
    phoffman says:

I did a lot of reading. Probably my favorite light, “beach”/trash read was “Sh*t My Dad Says” by Justin Halpern. Not poignant. Not deep. Just plain funny. And, made me appreciate my parents. Other than reading, I went to see The Judge with Robert Downey, Jr. and Robert Duvall. Very good movie.

Reply
  14. Lynda
    Lynda says:

I have 2 great book recommendations after my very relaxing and stress-free winter break! The first is, The Saving Graces. This was actually a recommendation from Patti. It’s about 4 women who form a “women’s group.” The book follows each of their lives and how they intertwine. The second book is, Wonder. This one I highly recommend! It is actually a juvenile fiction book. It is about a middle-school aged boy with a very severe cranio-facial abnormality. It is written from various perspectives; his, several of his classmates’, his sister, and his mom. It is extremely well-written and poignant.

On another note, I enjoyed a great balance of being with family, friends, reading, watching Scandal on Netflix, eating too much, cleaning out some clutter and seeing a couple of movies!

Reply
  15. Jennifer
    Jennifer says:

I enjoyed spending time with family over the break. My brother and niece stayed with us for a whole week, so it was nice to hang out and watch the girls play together. We also bought two new vehicles and trapped one skunk that was living under our front porch. All in all, it was a nice, productive break.

Reply
  16. jdeno
    jdeno says:

I finally bought some new books for my Nook and took some time to read again! I know that sounds really nerdy, but it has been a good 8 months since I read. I spent a lot of time with family and friends and it was wonderful to be home with my little guy for two whole weeks. It was tough to leave him after having him all to myself all day everyday 🙂

Reply
  17. swhaley
    swhaley says:

I traveled to Crawfordsville, IN on Christmas Eve to attend candlelight service at my cousin, Pastor Warren Stewart’s church. He retired at the end of 2014 and so this was his last candlelight service. I was also able to attend his last regular service on Sunday too. Very emotional time for him, his church family and friends, not to mention our family too.

As far as resolutions go, I don’t make them. I do make plans tho. Plans for 2015 to be happier and healthier. I’ll achieve this by continuing to go to the Y at least 3 x a week to work out and sit in the hot tub! I also bought a low carb cookbook for myself while I was Christmas shopping and I plan to try one new recipe every week in 2015.

Reply
  18. Kathy Holtman
    Kathy Holtman says:

I had company the whole break. And so my only accomplishment other than surviving the break, was that I learned to play Texas Hold’em. Maybe my newly found skills can help Danielle with $$ for school?

Reply
  19. dpipitone
    dpipitone says:

I prefer to call them “goals”, but my New Year’s Resolutions sort of work against each other…so I don’t know how this is going to work out for me :).

They are to:
    1. Save more money
    2. Go back to school

Well, I start my first class on January 26 (I’m going for Certifications in Digital Photography and Graphic Design)…so that’s working on one goal…but now I must pay for these classes…hmmmm.

Reply
    • atighe
      atighe says:

Don’t forget that CID has a tuition reimbursement plan that will help cover 50% of the cost of up to 3 courses per fiscal year. That will help towards your savings goal. Employees can learn more about eligibility requirements by going to the Tuition Reimbursement page under the Benefits tab on the intranet.

Reply
  20. avarble
    avarble says:

If you are a fan of the book To Kill A Mockingbird, a new book about Harper Lee is for you. The title is The Mockingbird Next Door. I read it over break and really enjoyed it.

Reply
  21. Meghan
    Meghan says:

Tomato Pie (It is DELICIOUS)

1/4 sautéed onions

sautéed minced garlic

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can Rotél tomatoes

whatever other veggies you want (green pepper, corn, black beans?)

a ton of basil

Bring all of above to simmer, just to get it warm

stir in 1/3 cup of dry cornmeal mix

In separate bowl

2 boxes of corn muffin mix

Mix according to box recipe (cut back on milk a little, ’cause ya used some in the tomatoes

Stir in grated cheese

dump tomato mix into a (deeper than you think you’ll need) casserole dish

sprinkle with cheese

spread cornmeal slop over top

sprinkle with cheese

cook @ 375 for 20 (more?) mins

remove and let sit for 5 mins

Reply