Teacher and Child working together

Making data collection manageable: Tracking your student who is deaf or hard of hearing

Collecting data is a must for SLPs and teachers in special education.  We have to know if IEP speech, language and auditory goals are being met and show progress.  In order to choose the best data collection method, it’s important to know what information is needed and whether or not you want to involve the student.

Below are some data collection options.  No matter which option you choose, use ten trials with each set of stimuli, and multiply the number of correct responses by ten to calculate the percentage correct.

Tally charts – These are a great way to take basic data such as correct and incorrect responses only. Write your stimuli across the top and record the child’s correct responses underneath the stimulus.  Use a tally or plus sign for correct responses and an X or minus sign for incorrect ones. You should also note whether the student is asking for repetition and for what stimuli the requests are being made.  Frequent requests for repetition can be a sign of uncertainty and should be considered when determining mastery of a skill.

Reward charts­ – Similar to tally charts, reward charts can be used when you need to record basic data and calculate a percentage correct.  With reward charts, the student sees his progress in the data collection process. Use a sticker, draw a smiley face or use a stamp marker for correct responses. For incorrect responses, draw an X, write the stimulus and/or incorrect response, or leave the space blank. Again, you may want to note frequent requests for repetition.  Reward charts involve the student and can be motivating.  If you don’t have a reward chart handy, then use a stamp marker to stamp a child’s hand for correct responses.  Stamp your hand for the incorrect responses. Between the two of you, you can count the number correct responses and of trials to calculate a percentage.  Change the stamp marker for a new set of stimuli.

Go for the gold wheel

Confusion matrix – A confusion matrix is used to see where the student is confusing the stimuli.  This is a good method to use when the student needs to respond to several, similar sounding stimuli, such as with the sounds /p/, /b/,  /t/, /k/, with a list of rhyming words, or a consonant perception task, and you need to analyze the errors. In a confusion matrix, write the stimuli across the top.  Then in the same order (and that’s the most important part), write the same stimuli down the left side.  Present the stimuli ten times and record the child’s correct responses.  Count the tally marks and analyze the results.

Example of a confusion matrix before filling out

Here is an example of how to record and interpret responses using a confusion matrix.  After presenting the stimulus word, broom, mark a tally in the appropriate box in the broom column where the stimulus word and the child’s response intersect.  For example, if the child responds with broom, indicate the correct response in the gray box.  If the child responds with zoo, mark the white box for zoo in the broom column.

Tally marks in the white boxes indicate that the student is experiencing confusion between the stimuli.  In this case, it’s clear that the confusion is because broom and zoo have the same vowel sound.

Example of a confusion matrix

SLPs and teachers use many ways to collect data, and this list explains just a few.  Use what is easiest for you and provides the information you need to know to guide your lessons.  Download your free blank data collection sheets on our free download page (under the auditory development category). Please share your favorite methods in the comments.

Jennifer Manley served as a classroom teacher for students ages 3 to 12 at CID – Central Institute for the Deaf. She currently works in professional development giving presentations on auditory development and is co-author of CID SPICE for Life, an auditory learning curriculum and author of the 2nd edition of CID SPICE.

3 replies
  1. دانلود آهنگ
    دانلود آهنگ says:

If you have so many areas and are puzzled, how to get it happen in a maintained method, then simply don’t loose your temperament by that. Just simply begin with the simplest place, so as to increase your complexity level accordingly.

Reply
  2. Nidhi
    Nidhi says:

Hello, Ms. Manley.

I am currently taking a course in language and literacy development in the content areas, for students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The class emphasizes the importance of supporting student language and communication needs in order for them to engage in subject area content. As a teacher who is starting out in the field, I find it hard to reflexively assess lesson goals and communication goals, while I am teaching. I am learning that monitoring student progress (and my own effectiveness) is a much more manageable feat with intentional structures in place to support the assessment practice.

I see that the charts you present in this post have been created with intention, and they seem easy to use. I really like the idea of recording progress on a chart that is shared with the student so they can also monitor their progress. This provides constant feedback for the student, and motivates them to take ownership over their development. I would like to develop something similar to track my students’ language goals.

Thank you for sharing these resources.

Reply
  3. Ali Fine
    Ali Fine says:

Hello!

I enjoyed reading your post. While taking my undergraduate courses, taking data was discussed but never thoroughly. I was aware that it was important to collect data but did not know of much resources on how to best do it. Fast forwarding to my graduate studies, I am taking coursework in Applied Behavioral Analysis and the concept of data collection is discussed heavily in all of my courses. I have read tons of research about the importance of collecting data and how integral it is to student’s progress in learning. I am lucky enough to intern at a school that implements ABA strategies and the teachers collect data on mostly everything that occurs in the classroom with the students. In addition, at the end of the day the data is graphed to see the progress of the students and to see if a decision is need to be made. I really enjoyed learning about the confusion matrix data collection method. I am looking forward to using it in my future classrooms! It is similar to how I have seen data collected on reading stimuli in one of the classrooms that I intern in.

Thank you for your insightful post

Reply