WHAT PROFESSIONALS ARE SAYING
FREE RESOURCES AND INFORMATION
How can groups view the online courses?
For online course group viewing options, please visit our group view page by clicking here.
What is your return policy on products?
You have 30 days to return your purchase in like-new condition for an exchange or refund. All sales are final after 30 days. For questions, contact email@example.com.
How are the SPICE and SPICE for Life curricula different?
They target different listening skills.
The original SPICE (Speech Perception Instructional Curriculum and Evaluation) is used for developing auditory skills in children who are at the very beginning of their auditory development. SPICE activities target the following skills:
- detection of speech
- perception of the suprasegmental aspects of speech (duration, stress and intonation)
- vowel and consonant perception
- comprehension of connected speech (phrases, sentences and conversation)
The CID SPICE for Life curriculum targets development of a variety of listening skills.
- developing auditory memory
- listening in noisy settings
- listening to music
- localizing sounds
- listening to voices (identify gender, emotion, etc.)
- listening in conversation
- listening on the telephone and other media
- identifying environmental sounds
Can I use SPICE for Life with a student who hasn’t completed the SPICE skills?
In most cases, we recommend using both curricula with these students. This promotes well-balanced auditory development and provides variety for the student. Some SPICE for Life skills, such as developing auditory memory, can also contribute to a student’s learning of language and vocabulary, allowing her to continue to make progress in the vowel and consonant perception and connected speech goals of SPICE.
Can I just order the toys from the SPICE kit or replace the ones I am missing?
No, the toys are not sold separately. The only components of the SPICE kit sold separately are the manual, rating forms and acoustic hoop.
Can I order an extra set of the SPICE picture word cards?
No, the SPICE picture word cards and sentence/nursery rhyme cards are not sold separately. The only components of the SPICE kit sold separately are the manual, rating forms and acoustic hoop.
How does CID TAGS compare to rating forms available from other organizations?
TAGS is one part of a full system for progress monitoring for listening, language and speech. It is a functional assessment that is specifically for syntax. It includes lists of grammatical structures that are commonly produced in English. The forms are a great way to keep track of what grammatical structures students are and are not using. In addition, TAGS are useful for providing data in addition to standardized test scores.
CID provides similar assessment forms for monitoring and tracking progress in all areas in which we expect delay for children with hearing loss:
- Vocabulary: CID Early Childhood Vocabulary Rating Form
- Syntax: CID TAGS (TAGS-1, TAGS-2, TAGS-3)
- Pragmatic Language: CID Preschool Pragmatic Language Rating Form
- Language Related to Play: CID Preschool Symbolic Language Rating Form
- Speech: CID Speech Skills Rating Form
- Auditory Training: CID SPICE
- Auditory Learning: CID SPICE for Life
Each of these forms is used in the following five ways:
- To determine a child’s present level of performance (in that area)
- To determine IEP goals (in that area)
- To determine lesson objectives (in that area)
- To track progress over time (in that area)
- To report skills and progress to parents and professionals (in that area)
Will your workshops be held in the spring or summer?
How can I order CID publications if I am outside of the United States?
Orders from outside of the continental United States cannot be placed online, as our system is unable to calculate the shipping costs that depend on the size and weight of the package(s). You may place your order directly by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 314.977.0133 (phone), 314.977.0016 (fax). Please include the items and quantity you wish to order, the complete name and address for billing and shipment, and payment details.